ecommerce players still do same mistakes with packaging
Here again, a perfect example of what ecommerce packaging should not be anymore …
Be unsecure (opened during transit)
Use unnecessary packaging material that would need to be disposed of or recycled
Have wasted space ; in this case, more than 5 times air transported than products
Have boxes in box
Need scissors and knives to access the contents
Have no information on how to return the item
In 2017, global e-retail sales grew 24.8 percent compared to the previous year. It is time to have efficient strategies to save transport cost, save raw material and reduce CO2 emissions!
However, solutions are existing and easy to implement:
- Have right material performance; define and test it
- Remove unnecessary material (fitment) to avoid material to dispose
- Have the right size packaging (not too big or too small) and define the box matrix or use packaging on demand systems
- Have information on how to return the item
- Have branding (inside) to reflect the image of the brand
- Easy to open
So why ecommerce players are still making the same mistakes?
- High complexity of managing box size matrix
- Wait for EU regulation on ecommerce packaging
- Lack of packaging resources
- Labour cost for managing packing
- Lack of total cost value chain management
all these reasons above are manageable ...
Having the right ecommerce packaging will be more sustainable in term of customer experience, waste and cost management.
#Ecommerce #wastedspace #packaging #costmanagement #sustainability